Setting Up And Launching Your Ecommerce Website
After we have tackled the basics and everything else you need to know about ecommerce in our previous article, it is now time for us to have an insight on setting up and launching an ecommerce website. In this article, we will discuss all the steps and processes involved in successfully launching the said website.
If you’re venturing out on an online business, setting up and launching your own ecommerce site is among the most profitable moves that you can ever think of. Convenient and easy to setup without the need to spend more on overhead expenses, ecommerce websites are a growing trend in the today’s continually expanding market.
Launching an ecommerce website of your own is not as hard as it sounds. In fact, it is pretty easy. Below is a step-by-step guide on how you can successfully set up your ecommerce website.
- Price – Taking into account how much your products cost is very crucial. Too low and it will be very challenging to reach a good ROI; too high and it will be a little difficult to make sales.
- Margin – Before permanently venturing out on a particular product, make sure that you have knowledge about its margins very well. A lot of products being sold online typically has a margin of 30% – 35%, depending on your chosen industry.
- Local Availability – Are your products easily available in physical stores? If so, that means that your products are locally available. In ecommerce, selling a product that is not easily found locally is a great strategy in making your online business a success. Many customers opt for shopping online when they can’t find what they’re looking for in local stores.
- Shipping Size and Weight – Among the biggest trends and promotions that consumers like is free shipping. They want it and they will most likely expect it when purchasing a product that is a little costly. Consider your shipping size and weight when choosing a product to sell, as bigger and heavier products come with expensive shipping costs and most customers will find that a down low.
- Passion – Last but definitely not the least, doing something you love is always huge part of your success. So when choosing a product to sell, consider how inclined you are in the industry. Remember that starting up an ecommerce website will come with various obstacles and being passionate about what you do will play a key role in keeping your head in the game and motivated at all times.
Step One: Choosing the industry and the products to sell
The first step in setting up an ecommerce website is crucial. Choosing the product to sell on your online store will have a huge impact on whether or not your ecommerce business is going to be a success. In selecting the products to sell, you may want to consider the following factors:
Step Two: Finding the right manufacturer
After having decided on what products you will be selling, the next step is finding the right supplier. There will be a number of different suppliers out there who manufacture the same products, so it will be ideal to have a list of each. From the list, start reaching out to each one of them and let them know about your interest on reselling their products, but be mindful that some of these manufacturers may not accept to work with a business that is just starting out as they don’t have access to any past track record of sales. The idea here is to find a manufacturer that doesn’t require intimidating application requirements.
Step Three: Creating the website
Before launching an ecommerce website, you must first choose an ecommerce platform that you are going to use. An ecommerce platform will take care of all the products, order processing, checking out, and other processes involved in an ecommerce website. There is a wide array of different ecommerce platforms to choose from, and these platforms come with a number of different features that will suit the needs of your website.
Note that most ecommerce platforms are already set which will give you the advantage of starting up on your own site as easily and quickly as possible. If by any chance, you are in need of a platform that you can have total control over, then there are also some ecommerce platforms that are more technical which allow you to have a sway on appearance and functionality.
Choosing platforms like Shopify will get all the work done needed for you to launch your website. However, if you’ve chosen an open source platform, you will have to choose domain name and server host for your brand. Additionally, ecommerce websites also need SSL (or Secure Socket Layer) certificates which encrypt personal and sensitive information, such as credit card numbers and personal data. To fulfill that part, you will will need a web hosting service. There are many different web hosts out there that will allow you to register your own domain name at an affordable price. Find one that you think will work best for you.
After successfully choosing a platform, we move on to finalizing your brand’s logo and web design. This may seem like a simple task, but can be very crucial. Your brand logo and web interface will have a huge impact on how often customers will visit and purchase from your site. While many usually spend thousands of dollars on hiring web designers that custom design their websites, you can still achieve a functional and aesthetically pleasing ecommerce site while minimizing start-up costs. Here are a few tips you can follow:
- Purchase a web template online – many online marketplaces such as ThemeForest and TemplateMonster offer thousands of different themes or templates that you can buy at affordable prices. These sites also have pre-made templates compatible with online platforms such as Shopify, and the like.
- Purchase your brand logo online – as mentioned earlier, hiring professionals to do your own logo can cost lots money. To save up, you can opt for logos that are readily available for purchase. Like web templates, logos are also widely sold in different websites like 99designs and LogoInn in different prices that will surely meet your budget. Keep in mind that choosing the right logo has a big impact on your site’s branding success.
Once you have accomplished all three steps mentioned above, then your ecommerce site is ready for launching.
Have a question ?
Let us help you !